Informal kinship carer financial support and benefits

Information on the types of financial support and government benefits available to informal kinship carers.

Informal kinship care arrangements are usually agreed by the child’s parents and the kinship carer. The parents have a responsibility to help pay for the cost of caring for their child but often don’t because of their personal situation.

There is no specific allowance that you can apply for as a kinship carer, but you may be able to claim government benefits, depending on your financial situation.

You may also be able to get one-off or regular payment from your local council’s children’s services department if you are a low-income family, or the child is ‘considered a child in need’.

There may be further financial help if you or the child you are caring for is disabled or have a long-term illness.

Government benefits

You may be able to claim one of the following government benefits to help you with day-to-day living costs and the cost of caring for a child.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working age who are on a low-income. You can be working, looking for work, sick or disabled, or caring a child or disabled person.

Learn more about Universal Credit for kinship carers

Child Benefit

Child Benefit is paid to anyone bringing up a child under 16 years of age or a young person under 20 years of age who is in approved education or training. Only one person can get child benefit and there is no limit to how many children you can claim for.

Learn more about Child Benefit for kinship carers

Pension Credit

If you are over State Pension age, you may be able to get Pension Credit, which is separate to your State Pension. It gives you extra money to help pay for day-to-day living costs, which will include looking after a child if you are a kinship carer.

Learn more about Pension Credit for kinship carers

Guardian’s Allowance

If you are bringing up a child whose parents have died, you could be able to get a Guardian’s Allowance. You may also be eligible if there is one surviving parent. Guardian’s Allowance is tax-free and you can get it on top of any Child Benefit you receive.

Learn more about Guardian’s Allowance (GOV.UK)

Support from children’s services

Under Section 17 of the Children’s Act 1989, every council has to provide a range of family support services, which includes financial support.

That means you may be able to claim one-off payments to help pay for items such as bedroom furniture and nursery costs. If you are a low-income family, you may be able to get regular payments to help pay for the cost of caring for the child.

All support from children’s service is discretionary and means-tested, which means it will depend on your specific situation. A social worker from children’s services will assess the child’s needs and decide if they are a ‘child in need’. They will then make a decision about what support you should get.

Any financial support you receive from children’s services gets reviewed every year.

Find your local council (GOV.UK)

Support from Kinship

Here at Kinship, we offer a range of free support for all kinship carers, including workshops, online advice and information, and peer support groups.

Contact our advice service to speak to an adviser or book an appointment.